Disability Support Program
Standard Household Rate
Starting on January 1, 2020, the Standard Household Rate takes effect, increasing basic assistance rates for eligible Disability Support Program (DSP) participants.
About the Standard Household Rate
The Standard Household Rate will combine the shelter allowance and personal allowance into a single rate, based on household composition and accommodation type.
This new rate will provide funding for certain needs, such as food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, and personal items.
Eligible DSP participants will receive one of the following Standard Household Rates, depending on their circumstances:
- Standard Household Rate – Rent/Own – 5% increase for single participants and 2% increase for other household sizes
- DSP participants who either rent their place or own their home will receive this Standard Household Rate if they currently receive a Personal Allowance and a Rent/Own Shelter Allowance.
- Standard Household Rate –Board – 2% increase
- DSP participants will receive this Standard Household Rate if they currently receive a Personal Allowance and Board Shelter Allowance.
- Standard Household Rate – Essentials – flat rate of $165
- DSP participants will receive this Standard Household Rate if they are not eligible for a Rent/Own or Board rate and are not currently funded for a Residential Support option, or an Alternative Family Support option.
When it takes effect
Eligible participants received the rate increase on their January payment, which was issued December 27, 2019.
Standard Household Rate – Rent/Own or Board
If you board, rent, or own your own home, you will receive the Standard Household Rate – Rent/Own or Board as shown in the below table:
|Household Composition||Standard Household Rate (Monthly)|
|1||-||2 or more||$913||$568|
|1||1||1 or more||$1,193||$849|
*If a spouse is also a DSP participant, the spouse will continue to have their own case and any dependents in the household will be included in only one participant’s Standard Household Rate.
- Jamie is a DSP participant who is single and pays rent to live in an apartment. Jamie will receive the “Rent/Own” Standard Household Rate of $850 a month.
- Morgan is a DSP participant who is single and lives with family in the Flex Living with Family Program. Morgan will receive the “Board” Standard Household Rate of $508 a month.
Standard Household Rate – Essentials
If you are a DSP participant and are not:
- receiving a Standard Household Rate for rent, own or board; and
- not funded for another DSP support option,
And are temporarily in a:
- rehabilitation program, or
You will receive the Standard Household Rate – Essentials of $165 per month.
About the Standard Household Rate examples
Examples have been created to help you understand the Standard Household Rates.
The amounts in the examples don’t take into account any other supports you may receive, such as Special Needs. With this, individual amounts may vary.
For more information:
To find out more about how Standard Household Rate impacts you, please contact the Department of Community Services at 1-877-424-1177 or call your Care Coordinator directly.