Married Students

This student category includes students who are legally married and students living common-law (including in a same sex relationship). To be considered living in a common–law relationship you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are 18 years of age or older and you have been living with your spouse for at least 12 consecutive months before the first day of the month in which classes begin


  • You and your spouse both filed your most recent income tax returns as common-law spouses.

Spouse’s Contribution Amount

If your spouse is a full-time student
If your spouse is also a full-time student during the same study period his/her financial contribution to your school expenses is calculated using the same information as your own contribution: Your pre-study period and study-period income.

If your spouse is not a full-time student, but is employed
If the spouse is not a full-time student, a minimum contribution is assessed. An additional contribution is also assessed if the spouse’s income is greater than minimum wage.

If your spouse is unemployed
If the spouse is unable to work because s/he is caring for dependent children or s/he is ill, no minimum contribution is assessed. In that case, the contribution is 70% of the actual net income (income minus taxes).

If the relationship ends
If your marriage or common-law relationship ends, your student category will become either Single Independent Student or Single Parent Student. This change in status is made on the 91st day after the separation but is backdated to the date the relationship ended. You will need to provide proof that the relationship has ended.