Government of Nova Scotia, Canada
Header - Service Directory

Use the Services Directory to quickly access information on all of the services provided by the NS Department of Finance and Treasury Board.

FAQ - Insurance Agent Licensing

Agent Licensing and Application FAQ

The Individual Insurance License Application Form is used for licensing all different types of agents, and (sometimes) for updating your insurance license information. The FAQs below answer common questions about completing the form, and related licensing questions.

On the application form, what do "New", "Transfer", "Renew/Transfer" and "Re-Instate" mean, and which one do I choose?

These are application "types." Choose ONLY one of the four options, based on your situation:

  • New - first time application for any agent license, OR if you currently hold a LLQP A&S license, and are now applying for LLQP Life, A&S license
  • Transfer - when your sponsor has changed within the three year licensing period
  • Renew/Transfer - your sponsor has changed, and it is time to renew your license
  • Re-Instate - after your license has expired (or cancelled), and you are applying to be licensed again

Note: To simpy renew your license without any changes, please use the form mailed to you. Only send us the Insurance Agent Application if you are renewing, and at the same time, changing your sponsor. Select application type: renew/transfer.

Below application types, there are boxes for "life", "general", and "travel". How do I fill these in?

Each box is for a different "License type" - the class of insurance the license is for. (The adjuster box applies to an adjuster license.) You need a separate application form for each class of insurance you want to be licensed for. For example, to be licensed for both A&S and General insurance, you need to submit TWO forms, one for A&S, and another for General Insurance.

On the form, choose ONE license type, and then in that box, select ONE and only ONE of the available options.

How do I cancel my license, and can I get a refund?

To cancel your license, please notify us, in writing. Refunds are given for any full year remaining on the license term. Refunds are paid to the party that originally paid the fee (which may be the agent or agency). You do not need to re-submit the Individual Insurance License.

I want to upgrade my General Insurance Level I to Level II. Do I need to send another Individual Insurance License form?

No, you do not need to send us another form. Please contact us by mail, and provide the transcripts of the prescribed IIC Courses or CAIB courses you have completed. There is no fee to upgrade your license.

My contact information has changed. How do I get my information updated?

Please advise us, in writing or by email, of any change in your contact information. There is no fee charged for this service.


Orange ClockFor more information

Agent, agency and adjuster licensing enquiries:
902-424-2787 or 902-424-7551

Insurer licensing enquiries: 902-424-6331

Fax: 902-424-1298