Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations Banner
Government Home > Service NS Home > Nova Scotia Permits Directory > Department of Natural Resources  > Oak Island Treasure Act
Ask Joe Howe Central   or try  How Do I Find...
NS Permits Directory NS Government

Service NS Home

NS Permits Directory

Arrow Search the Directory
Arrow Department Index
Arrow Agency, Board, Commission Index
Arrow Municipal Index
Arrow Access to Business
Arrow Site Map for the Directory
Arrow Questions and Comments
Arrow About the Directory
Arrow Disclaimer


About the Department
Online Services
Services en français
Forms and Applications
Office Locations
Service NS Home

Contact Service Nova ScotiaContact Us

Department of Natural Resources

Mineral or Oak Island Treasure: Excavation Registration

Who Needs This Registration?
Anyone who wants to perform mineral or Oak Island treasure excavations in Nova Scotia, either onshore or offshore.

The Registration authorizes manual pitting / trenching over 1.0 meter deep, mechanized trenching / pitting or stripping, and underground exploration on mineral exploration licences and Oak Island treasure licences to a maximum of 100 tonnes. Beyond that maximum, a letter of authority is required from the Director of Mines of the N.S. Department of Natural Resources.
Issuing Department / Agency:
N.S. Department of Natural Resources

Where can you get this Registration and / or further information?
Mineral Development and Policy Section
N.S. Department of Natural Resources

Tel: 902-424-4068
Fax: 902-424-5568

Office Location:
Founders Square
3rd Floor
1701 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3M8

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 698
Halifax, NS B3J 2T9
Application Forms & Process:

An application form (Form 12 Excavation Registration) can be obtained from the nearest Regional or Area Office of the N.S. Department of Natural Resources, or the Registry of Mineral and Petroleum Titles of the Department (see above). When completed, it is submitted to the Registry of Mineral and Petroleum Titles.

Along with the completed application form, the applicant must submit a sketch map showing the extent of the proposed work, and a written commitment to rehabilitate the site.

Registrations must be submitted to the Registrar at least 7 days before the commencement of the activities to be conducted.

A number of other requirements must be met by the applicant (see Related Requirements, below).

If all requirements are met, and the application is registered, the applicant will receive written notification from the Registrar of Minerals and Petroleum Titles.

Waiting Period:
7-10 business days
Expiry & Renewal:
This Registration is valid for the dates specified on it. This period includes the time required to do the work and reclaim the site. It is not renewable.


Related Requirements:
    1. Proof of landowner permission is required.
    2. Crown Lands: Lease - (Private Enterprise and non-Profit), N.S. Department of Natural Resources, if applicable.
    3. Mineral Exploration: Licence, or Mineral Exploration: Special Licence, or Oak Island Treasure: Licence, N.S. Department of Natural Resources, if applicable.
    4. Environmental Assessment Approval, N.S. Environment and Labour, if applicable.
    5. All work conducted pursuant to this Registration must be done in compliance with the Mineral Resources Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Environment Act, and all other pertinent legislation.
    6. The Minister of N.S. Department of Natural Resources may require a bond for certain projects.
    1. Exploration Monitoring (N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources)
    2. Mining Engineering (N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources)
    3. N.S. Environment
    4. Regional Geologists (N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources)
    5. N.S. Environment
    6. If applicable, N.S. Museum (see N.S. Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage
Additional Information:

Legislative Authority:
Oak Island Treasure Act Bill No. 81

image image
image image
image image This page and all contents Crown copyright © 2015, Province of Nova Scotia, all rights reserved.
Please use the online inquiry form if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.