Government of Nova
novascotia.caGovernment of Nova Scotia Nova Scotia, Canada
Access Nova Scotia
Text Size:  A+ A-

Changing Your Name

Who May Apply

The applicant must be:

  • 16 (sixteen) years of age or over and;
  • either born in the province of Nova Scotia, OR have resided in the province of Nova Scotia for at least one year immediately before the change of name application.

An applicant may be a person changing their own name, spouse's name or, a parent making application to change their minor child's name (15 years of age or younger).


Applications must be accompanied by the required fee. For the applicable fee, please visit Vital Statistics Fees.

Change of Name (one person):

This fee includes one change of name certificate showing all name changes.

Each additional change:

This fee includes items such as marriage registration, spouse's name, children's names.

Documentation Requirements

Applicants must provide:

  • A birth certificate for each person whose name is to be changed if born outside Nova Scotia.
  • Immigration documents if born outside Canada (Record of Landing)
  • Marriage certificate if the marriage occurred elsewhere in Canada (not in Nova Scotia). The certificate must have been issued by the provincial or territorial Vital Statistics office.
  • Detailed birth certificates showing parentage for minor children born outside Nova Scotia.
  • All birth certificates issued prior to the change of name

Documents in other languages will need an official translation.


Every person who is 12 years of age or older and legally changing their name MUST have fingerprints taken by an approved agency.

Fingerprints can be taken and submitted at any Canadian policing agency and at the Nova Scotia Commissionaires office at 1505 Barrington Street, Halifax.
Any fees for fingerprinting are paid directly to the fingerprinting agency. They are not part of the Legal Change of Name fee.

For more information on the requirement for Fingerprinting.

Consent of Parent

The completion of a consent form is usually required by the other parent when a child's name is changing.

In the absence of a required consent, the applicant must supply an Order of the Court, dispensing with the consent.

Consent of Spouse

The completion of a consent form is usually required  when a married person is changing their surname and consent of their spouse is required.

In the absence of the required consent, the applicant must supply an Order of the Court, dispensing with the consent.

How to Apply

In Person:
Service Nova Scotia
Vital Statistics Office
300 Horseshoe Lake Drive Halifax, NS
B3S 0B7
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except Holidays)
Postal Address:
Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 157
Halifax, NS B3J 2M9

Contact Us

(within Nova Scotia)

Additional Information

If the person changing their name was either born or married elsewhere in Canada, the notification of the name change is also sent to the Province/Territories of their birth or marriage and the applicant should apply there for a new certificate.