Dismal, Tracadie, left his owner, John Dismal, of Somerset County,
Virginia, in 1779. He came to Nova Scotia on board Nisbet in 1783.
Having survived in Nova Scotia for four years with no firm roots,
he settled at Tracadie in 1787. He wed Suzan Richardson at Christ Church, Guysborough, on 4 November 1792. His sons
and daughters would fight to retain the land on which the old family
homestead stood. Today, the family name is written as Desmond.
Related: Dismal/Desmond and Gero descendants
Related: James Desmond