This consolidation is unofficial and is for reference only. For the official version of the regulations, consult the original documents on file with the Registry of Regulations, or refer to the Royal Gazette Part II. Regulations are amended frequently. Please check the list of Regulations by Act to see if there are any recent amendments to these regulations filed with our office that are not yet included in this consolidation. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this electronic version, the Registry of Regulations assumes no responsibility for any discrepancies that may have resulted from reformatting. This electronic version is copyright © 2016, Province of Nova Scotia, all rights reserved. It is for your personal use and may not be copied for the purposes of resale in this or any other form.
Libraries Act Funding Regulations
made under Sections 15 and 16 of the
R.S.N.S. 1989, c. 254
O.I.C. 1998-458 (September 16, 1998), N.S. Reg. 70/98
as amended to O.I.C. 2001-347 (July 19, 2001), N.S. Reg. 92/2001
1 These regulations may be cited as the Libraries Act Funding Regulations.
2 In these regulations,
(a) “approved operating funding level” means the product of the per capita rate multiplied by the population of the municipalities that are represented on a regional library board;
(b) “fiscal year” means the year commencing April 1 in each year and ending March 31 next following;
(c) “Minister” means the Minister of Education;
[Note: Effective December 15, 2011, the reference to the Minister of Education should be read as a reference to the Minister of Communities, Culture and Heritage in accordance with An Act to Amend Chapter 254 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Libraries Act, S.N.S. 2011, c. 65].
(d) “municipality” means a town, regional municipality or a municipality of a county or district;
(e) “per capita rate” means the per capita rate set annually by the Minister for purposes of calculating the approved operating funding level;
(f) “population of the municipalities” means the population as shown in the census, or annual projections, last prepared by Statistics Canada of all the municipalities represented on a regional library board; and
(g) “sharing ratio” means the ratio, determined by the Minister for a regional library board, that represents the percentage of the approved operating funding level to be paid by
(i) the Province,
(ii) the municipalities represented on the regional library board, and
(iii) the regional library board.
3 (1) The municipalities represented on a regional library board shall, each fiscal year, collectively pay to the regional library board on which they are represented a total operating grant equal to the product of the municipalities’ percentage of the sharing ratio times the approved operating funding level.
(2) The Minister shall, each fiscal year, pay to each regional library board an operating grant that is equal to the product of the Province’s percentage of the sharing ratio times the approved operating funding level.
(3) The Minister shall, during the fiscal years 1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002, pay to the Eastern Counties Regional Library Board an operating grant of $18 000 per year, in addition to the Provincial annual operating grant prescribed under subsection (2).
Subsection 3(3) amended: O.I.C. 2001-347, N.S. Reg. 92/2001.
(3A) The Minister shall, each fiscal year commencing with the fiscal year 2002-2003, pay to each regional library board the municipalities of which have a total population density of 5 people or less per square kilometre, an equity grant of 5% of the Provincial annual operating grant prescribed under subsection (2), in addition to the Provincial annual operating grant prescribed under subsection (2).
Subsection 3(3A) added: O.I.C. 2001-347, N.S. Reg. 92/2001.
(4) Each regional library board shall, each fiscal year, generate an amount of money that is the product of the regional library board’s percentage of the sharing ratio times the approved operating funding level.
(5) The payments required to be made under subsections (1), (2) and (4) shall be made commencing the 1995-1996 fiscal year.
(6) The grants set out in subsections (1) to (3A) shall be paid in quarterly installments during the fiscal year, one installment in the first month.
Subsection 3(6) amended: O.I.C. 2001-347, N.S. Reg. 92/2001.
(7) The total municipal contribution set out in subsection (1) shall be apportioned among each participating municipality calculated by taking the share that its population is of the total population of all municipalities represented on the regional library board.
French language grants
4 (1) The Minister shall, each fiscal year, pay to a regional library board, where the French language speaking population exceeds 10% of the total population of the area served by the regional library board, a French language operating grant to assist in the provision of library service in the French language.
(2) The grant specified in subsection (1) shall be
(a) 5% for the fiscal years 1995-1996, 1996-1997 and 1997-1998; and
(b) 10% for the fiscal years 1998-1999 and thereafter,
of the Provincial annual operating grant prescribed in subsection 3(2) and shall be in addition to the Provincial annual operating grant.
(3) The French language operating grant prescribed in this Section shall be paid as required under subsection 3(6).
(4) The French language operating grant prescribed under this Section shall be conditional on the preparation of a separate financial statement, in accordance with subsection 14(2) of the Act, detailing the expenditures made for the French language library service provided by the regional library board.