The Poverty Reduction Credit

The Poverty Reduction Credit (PRC) gives you tax-free quarterly payments if you are an eligible Nova Scotian.


Various poeple who may face poverty. A man with crutches, a couple, a family and a senior woman.You do not need to apply for the PRC. The Department of Community Services will determine if you are eligible in June of each year. If you are eligible, you will receive your first PRC payment in July.

You are eligible if:

  1. You are an individual or couple that received Income Assistance from January to December in the previous year. If you are a married or common-law couple, only one person in your household can receive the credit.
  2. You filed your Income Tax Return for the previous tax year.
  3. Your annual adjusted income was below $16,000 in the previous tax year.
  4. You had no children in the previous tax year.


If you are eligible for the PRC, you will get $125.00 in of July, October, January and April ($500.00 in total for the year).

Contact Us

Poverty Reduction Credit Line: 1-866-424-1269.

Frequently asked questions

What is the Poverty Reduction Credit (PRC)?
The PRC provides financial assistance to Nova Scotians without children who are living in poverty.

Can I receive the PRC by direct deposit?
Yes, you can get the PRC by direct deposit. If you received Income Assistance by direct deposit, it will already be set up to send you the PRC.

If you need to set up direct deposit, call 1-866-424-1269 and our staff will help you.

Will the PRC affect other benefits I receive, like the GST rebate or my Income Assistance?
The PRC will not affect any of your other federal or provincial benefits.

I have children. Why can’t I receive the PRC?
The purpose of the PRC is to help people living in poverty, who do not get benefits for families with children. If you have children, you may get benefits like the Canada Child Benefit and the Nova Scotia Child Benefit.

I am not receiving Income Assistance. Can I still get the PRC?
You must receive Income Assistance to get the PRC.

Do you have information on my Goods and Services Tax (GST) Credit?
For information on the GST, please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-1953.

Can you answer questions about my income tax return?
For information on your income tax return, please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.