Adoption of Children of African Nova Scotian and Bi-racial Heritage
Essential to the well-being of African Nova Scotia children or children of bi-racial heritage is their placement in culturally appropriate homes.
We are looking for African or interracial Nova Scotian/Canadian families with
- A sense of African Nova Scotian history and culture
- An understanding of stereotypes and expectations of African Nova Scotian children
- The ability to support a child who may encounter racism
- Coping mechanisms and strategies
- Knowledge of health issues (skin/hair care, sickle cell anemia)
- Appropriate community resources
Financial subsidies may be available, based on the needs of the child at the time of placement.
There is a particular need for families to adopt sibling groups. In the interests of keeping siblings together, they will often wait much longer than other children for a family of their own.
Those interested in adopting have to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Over 19 years of age
- Singles or couples
- Residents of Nova Scotia
- Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident status
Want to learn more about the adoption of children of African Nova Scotian and Bi-racial Heritage? Call the Nova Scotia Adoption Information Line at 1-866-259-7780.