Changing Your Sex Designation
Who May Apply
The applicant must be:
- Born in Nova Scotia.
- 16 (sixteen years of age) or older or;
- 15 (fifteen years of age) or younger with written consent of every person who has care and custody of the applicant e.g. parent(s) or legal guardian(s). A Judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia may order that the person’s consent be dispensed with, if it is in the interest of the applicant to do so.
Applications must be accompanied by the required fee. For the applicable fee, please visit: http://novascotia.ca/sns/access/vitalstats/vital-statistics-fees.asp
Change of Sex Designation:
This fee includes an amendment to the applicant’s original birth registration.
Each Additional Fee:
This fee includes items such as amendments to other registrations, such as marriage or domestic partnership, or certificate requests such as birth, marriage, and domestic partnership.
Payment at the Vital Statistic Office: can be by cash, debit card, money order or cheque (payable to the Minister of Finance). Visa, MasterCard or American Express are accepted.
Payment by Mail: money order or cheque (payable to the Minister of Finance), Visa, MasterCard or American Express are accepted.
Applicants must provide:
- An application for a change of sex designation completed by the individual requesting the change.
- A written statement from the applicant that the applicant has assumed, identifies with and intends to maintain the gender identity that corresponds with the change requested.
- A written statement from a prescribed professional that affirms the sex shown on the applicant’s birth registration does not correspond with applicant’s gender identity.
- Where applicant is 15 years of age or younger and where applicable, original court order to dispense with consent and/or guardianship papers are to be included with the application.
- Documents submitted in a language other than English or French will need an official translation.
Download the application form for applicants 16 years of age and older here.
Download the application form for applicants 15 years of age and younger here.
How to Apply
- In Person:
- Service Nova Scotia
Vital Statistics Office
300 Horseshoe Lake Drive Halifax, NS
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except Holidays)
- Postal Address:
- Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 157
Halifax, NS B3J 2M9
- (within Nova Scotia)