First-Time Home Buyers Rebate
Nova Scotia's First-Time Home Buyers Rebate is a rebate equivalent to 18.75 per cent of the provincial portion of the HST or 1.31 per cent of the purchase price of capital stock in a housing cooperative, up to $3,000, on newly built homes.
This program is for newly constructed homes only and does not include renovations or conversions from rentals to condominiums.
Do I qualify for the rebate?
You will qualify for the rebate if:
- the newly constructed home will be used as your primary residence; and
- the individuals that will occupy the newly constructed home:
- have not owned and occupied a home in Canada in the last five years; or
- the home they owned and were occupying at the time was involuntarily destroyed within the last five years
What homes qualify for the rebate?
- homes built on land you owned before construction started
- homes built on land owned by the builder
- condominium units
- manufactured homes installed on leased land
- the purchase of a share in a Cooperative Housing Corporation
What is the application deadline for the rebate?
- You have 24 months from the date of sale noted on your deed transfer documents, if you purchased your home.
- You have 24 months from the bill of sale date if you purchased a manufactured home installed on leased land or a share in a cooperative housing corporation.
- You have 24 months from the date of your occupancy permit if your home was built on land you own.