This is to advise that on March 8, 2016, Municipal Enterprises Limited registered the Seabrook Quarry Expansion Project for environmental assessment, in accordance with Part IV of the Environment Act.
The purpose of the proposed project is to expand their existing 3.95 hectares quarry at 11621 Highway 217, Seabrook, Digby County, Nova Scotia. The expanded quarry will occupy a maximum of approximately 90.5 hectares (including the existing quarry) of land, with an expected project life of up to 40 years. The quarry will support continued extraction and production of aggregate of up to 50,000 tonnes/year, for use primarily in the road and local construction industry. The proposed project activities include blasting, crushing, washing and stockpiling of aggregate, as well as associated trucking activities on an as required basis.
On April 20, 2016 the Minister of Environment released a decision concerning this review. The Minister has decided to approve the undertaking in accordance with Section 13(1)b of the Environmental Assessment Regulations, pursuant to Part IV of the Environment Act. The undertaking has been approved subject to a number of conditions.
- Registration Document (PDF:905k)
- Appendix A - Property Information (PDF:2.9mb)
- Appendix B - Drawings (PDF:1mb)
- Appendix C - Rock Sulphur Content Analysis Results (PDF:134k)
- Appendix D - Biophysical Assessment Report (PDF:8mb)
- Appendix E - Cultural Resource Management Report (PDF:7.3mb)
- Appendix F - Public Consultation Documentation (PDF:1.1mb)
Opportunities for Public Input
Public comments on the Registration were accepted until April 7, 2016.
Comments received, including any personal information, will be made available to the public upon request.