On July 25, 2008, Melford International Terminal Inc. registered the proposed Melford International Terminal for environmental assessment, in accordance with Part IV of the Nova Scotia Environment Act. The proposed project also requires an environmental assessment in accordance with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. Both environmental assessment processes are currently underway and copies of all comments submitted to the province will also be forwarded to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Atlantic Region.
The purpose of the proposed undertaking is to construct and operate a container terminal and associated facilities in the Melford Industrial Reserve, about 10km southeast of Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia. It is anticipated that construction will commence, pending regulatory approvals, in the fall of 2008. Construction will last for approximately two and a half years. Start up and operation of the facility is scheduled for the spring 2011.
The Minister has authorized an extension for the commencement of work effective October 23, 2014, and expiring October 23, 2016. The Proponent must, on or before October 23, 2016, commence work on the Undertaking unless granted a written extension by the Minister.
On October 23, 2012 the Minister authorized an extension for the commencement of work effective October 23, 2012 and expiring October 23, 2014. The Proponent must, on or before October 23, 2014, commence work on the Undertaking unless granted a written extension by the Minister.
On October 23, 2008 the Minister of Environment released a decision (PDF: 319k) concerning this review. The Minister has decided to approve the undertaking in accordance with Section 34 of the Environment Act. The undertaking has been approved subject to a number of conditions (PDF: 48k).
The proponent is required to obtain all other necessary approvals, permits or authorizations before commencing work on the undertaking.
Opportunities for Public Input
Public comments were accepted between July 25, 2008 and August 24, 2008. Comments submitted are available in the library on the 5th floor of the Nova Scotia Environment, Halifax Office and will be made available to the public.
- Cover (PDF: 152k)
- Title Page (PDF: 10k)
- Executive Summary (PDF: 194k)
- Table of Contents (PDF: 54k)
- Acronyms (PDF: 24k)
- Section 1. Introduction (PDF: 1.5mb)
- Section 2. Project Description and Figures (PDF: 20.9mb)
- Section 2. Project Description (PDF: 113k)
- Section 3. Consultation (PDF: 106k)
- Section 4. Environmental Assessment Scope Methodology (PDF: 101k)
- Section 5.1. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 7.5mb)
- Section 5.2 - 5.5. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 5.6mb)
- Section 5.6. Figures (PDF: 10.7mb)
- Section 5.6. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 4.3mb)
- Section 5.7. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 3.5mb)
- Section 5.8 - 5.10. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 12.5mb)
- Section 5.10. Figures (PDF: 6.9mb)
- Section 5.11. Description of the Existing Environment (PDF: 1.4mb)
- Section 6. Effects Assessment (PDF: 1.1mb)
- Section 7. Economic Assessment (PDF: 327k)
- Section 8. Accidents and Malfunctions (PDF: 137k)
- Section 9. Potential Effects of the Environment On The Project (PDF: 76k)
- Section 10. Cumulative Effects Assessment (PDF: 2.5mb)
- Section 11. Summary Conclusions (PDF: 200k)
- Glossary (PDF: 20k)
- Appendix 1.0 A (PDF: 1.8mb)
- Appendix 2.0 A (PDF: 10.2mb)
- Appendix 3.2 A (PDF: 228k)
- Appendix 5.4 A (PDF: 45k)
- Appendix 5.6 A (PDF: 27k)
- Appendix 5.7 A (PDF: 944k)
- Appendix 5.8 A (PDF: 374k)
- Appendix 5.8 B (PDF: 1.4mb)
- Appendix 5.9 A, B, C (PDF: 939k)
- Appendix 5.10 A-L (PDF: 5.4mb)
- Appendix 5.11 A-J (PDF: 463k)
- Appendix 6.8 A (PDF: 3.1mb)
- Appendix 8.0 A (PDF: 77k)
- Appendix Table of Contents (PDF: 612k)