This is to advise that on July 16, 2012, Xstrata Coal Donkin Management Limited will register the Donkin Export Coking Coal Project for environmental assessment, in accordance with Part IV of the Environment Act.
The proposed project consists of the construction, operation and decommissioning of an underground coal mine facility at the site of the existing Donkin Mine located on the northeastern tip of Cape-Breton in Nova Scotia. The mine would have a lifespan of 30 plus years and extract approximately 3.6 million tonnes of coal per year. The project also includes a coal handling and processing plant that would be constructed to produce coal ready for transfer to a new barge loading facility. The coal would be loaded onto a barge, moved by tug to a new transshipment location, and loaded into ocean going vessels.
The project includes all activities and physical works associated with the construction, operation and decommissioning of the proposed Donkin Export Coking Coal Project, including, but not limited to, the following activities and components:
- underground coal mining;
- a coal handling preparation plant with a dry disposal reject handling system;
- ancillary services to support the underground mine and coal handling preparation plant, including a 138 kilovolt power line from Victoria Junction to the Project site;
- coal and mineral rock waste disposal and water treatment infrastructure;
- a barge load-out facility adjacent to the Donkin Peninsula to transport product coal to a transhipment mooring located southwest of Cape Morien; and
- marine transportation from the barge load-out facility to the transhipment mooring.
On July 19, the Minister of Environment released a decision (PDF:1.5mb) concerning this review. The Minister has decided to approve the undertaking in accordance with Section 13(1)b of the Environmental Assessment Regulations, pursuant to Part IV of the Environment Act. The undertaking has been approved subject to a number of conditions (PDF:4mb).
- Part 1 to 4 (PDF:9.5mb)
- Part 5 to 5.5 (PDF:8.7mb)
- Part 5.6 to 5.7 (PDF:5.8mb)
- Part 5.8 to 12 (PDF:8.1mb)
- Appendix A to D (PDF:8.3mb)
- Appendix E part 1 (PDF:9.4mb)
- Appendix E part 2 (PDF:4.2mb)
- Appendix F to L (PDF:7.7mb)
- Appendix M (PDF:7.5mb)
Opportunities for Public Input
Public comments on the Registration Document were accepted until September 14, 2012.
Comments received, including any personal information, will be made available to the public from the Nova Scotia Environment library, 5th floor, Halifax Office (5151 Terminal Rd.).