This is to advise that on May 1, 2008, Amherst Wind Power LP registered a wind energy project for environmental assessment, in accordance with Part IV of the Environment Act.
The purpose of the proposed undertaking is to construct and operate a 30 megawatt (MW) wind energy facility in Cumberland County, near the town of Amherst, Nova Scotia. The scope of the proposed Project will involve 20, 1.5 MW wind turbine generators on 437 hectares of lands. However, the turbines and ancillary facilities for the proposed wind farm will occupy only a small portion of the land base within the Project area. The estimated Project lifespan is approximately 25 years.
On June 11, 2010 the Minister authorized an extension for the commencement of work effective May 26, 2010 and expiring May 26, 2012. The Proponent must, on or before May 26, 2012, commence work on the Undertaking unless granted a written extension by the Minister.
On May 26, 2008 the Minister of Environment released a decision (PDF:320k) concerning this review. The Minister has decided to approve the undertaking in accordance with Section 13(1)b of the Environmental Assessment Regulations, pursuant to Part IV of the Environment Act. The undertaking has been approved subject to a number of conditions (PDF:41k).
The proponent is required to obtain all other necessary approvals, permits or authorizations before commencing work on the undertaking.
Opportunities for Public Input:
Public comments regarding the project were accepted from May 1, 2008 to May 15, 2008. All submissions received, including personal information, are available for public review from the Nova Scotia Environment Library, 5th floor, Halifax Office, 5151 Terminal Road.
- Public Notice (PDF:24k)
- Registration Document Section 1 (PDF:8.4mb)
- Registration Document Section 2a (PDF:64k)
- Registration Document Section 2b (PDF:3.1mb)
- Registration Document Section 2c (PDF:7.6mb)
- Registration Document Section 2d (PDF:105k)
- Registration Document Section 3 (PDF:113k)
- Registration Document Section 4 (PDF:468k)
- Registration Document Section 5a (PDF:8.5mb)
- Registration Document Section 5b (PDF:7.7mb)
- Registration Document Section 5c (PDF:194k)
- Registration Document Section 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (PDF:272k)