14.45 m of textual records
The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal was constituted as a distinct and separate appellate court, with criminal and civil jurisdiction, by the Court Reform Act of 1992. The court has a much earlier origin and continues the appellate jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia. The Supreme Court's procedure was codified with the passage of the Judicature Act in 1884. When acting as a court of original jurisdiction, one judge presided; as an appellate court, cases were heard by the full court sitting at Halifax. Amendments enacted in 1962, and effective in 1966, replaced this arrangement with a formally constituted Appeal Division of the Supreme Court, separated from the Trial Division, which was set up at the same time. Originally created with the Chief Justice and two additional judges, the Court of Appeal had expanded by 1996 to include seven additional judges with the Chief Justice of Nova Scotia presiding.
Fonds consists of four series:
Supreme Court of Nova Scotia Appeal Division cause books;
Supreme Court of Nova Scotia Appeal Division chambers books; and
Supreme Court of Nova Scotia Appeal Division proceedings books.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Transferred from the Law Courts in 1984.
Series descriptions available.
Further accruals expected.