The Department of Natural Resources would like to acknowledge the efforts of the Friends of Laurie Park over the past several weeks for their role in focusing Community input to the process and at the same time acknowledge all those members of the community who provided input which formed the basis for developing new conceptual plan options for consideration. To that end, the Department is pleased to indicate that one of the two presented concepts was the clear choice. Along with the chosen concept plan we are pleased to provide an overview of what the concept means with respect to the redevelopment of the park during the next year.
The Department working with the Friends together as one team to develop the conceptual plan has proven to be a productive model. The Department will continue to work with this model to provide progress updates.
Progress Update - November 2, 2010
Structural and decking improvements to the park bridge completed in early September, 2010.
Washroom contract awarded to Blunden Construction with site clearing completed and building foundation underway.
General site improvements for the park redevelopment (minus washroom and park administration buildings) was awarded to Dexter Construction Co. Ltd. with work underway.
Final contract for the park administration building expected to be finalized soon.
The site development concept plan below provides a detailed overview of main park development with brief descriptions of the entry; campground; day use area and other features.
A public open house will be held to provide the public an opportunity to visit the park and see the progress.
Reminder that due to the construction work the park is closed to all public use until further notice.
High Level Description:
Majority of the development will be in the current camping portion of the park with minimal change to day use access and activities. Existing day use roads and flow of traffic will essentially stay the same as today.
- New visitors services area that includes an office/administration building, camping visitor parking, registration and bypass lanes
- Improved park entrance from Highway #2
- New Off Season parking lot (15 to 20 cars) in advance of gate at bridge
- Campground capacity reduced from 71 small sites to +/- 40 upgraded campsites, including a mix of walk-in only, tenting, small trailer and larger trailer/RV sites
- Central camper’s washroom with flush toilets and showers
- New maintenance yard and wood storage building
- New trailer dumping station for campers
- New service clusters that include privy, water tap and recycling stations
- Seasonal floating dock to be installed at shoreline tenting sites (no boat trailer access to lake will be provided)
- Closure of the campground for the entire 2010 camping season during construction (June to Sept)
- Seasonal floating dock to be installed at boat launching area (no boat trailer access to lake will be provided)
- Park programming area with a gathering area and small kiosk/stage for interpretive and educational events
- Shoreline walking path to “Big Head” to provide improved accessibility
- Upgrade existing service clusters to include a privy, water tap and recycling stations
- No changes to the shoreline
- Fence at bedrock ridge shoreline (near Big head) to be repaired and maintained
- Improvements to canoe/kayak drop off area at the old boat launch site
- Roads, and traffic flow unchanged for access to day use areas
- General maintenance and repairs to existing paved sections of day use area
- Existing picnic sites to be marginally upgraded (top soil added and re-seeded where necessary) to provide car (drive-in) picnic loop opportunities