The Fast Forward Program provides an opportunity for individuals who are in receipt of regular Employment Insurance benefits to attend approved training for the duration of their claim.
The Fast Forward Program (FFP) is designed to assist clients with limited employment barriers who have the ability to make appropriate decisions regarding their careers to access training opportunities. Individuals who are in receipt of regular EI benefits, and want to pursue training at their own expense can use that claim period to improve their skills and enhance their employability.
Employment Nova Scotia delivers the Fast Forward Program
If you are unemployed, eligible for regular Employment Insurance benefits and have developed a plan to return to school to upgrade your education or employment skills, then the Fast Forward program may be able to help.
To be eligible, you must be unemployed and planning to take part in full-time training that will allow you to increase your skills and knowledge and assist you to find sustainable employment. As well, you must meet the following conditions:
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally entitled to work in Canada
• Have a current regular EI claim
• Have been out of secondary school for a minimum of 12 months
• Have been accepted to an eligible training program
• Have a financial plan in place for the full duration of your training
• Be able to pay your own training costs including tuition and books
What types of training are eligible?
Unemployed individuals who are eligible for Employment Insurance benefits and plan to attend school may be approved for support under the FFP program to attend training that:
• Is full-time, industry recognized and supported by labour market information
• Can include academic upgrading, literacy/ numeracy, English or French as a Second Language, skills training for specific occupations and university degree programs.
• Must be a minimum of 5 days in duration and delivered by an approved training institution.
You must be receiving or have requested regular EI benefits and submit a Fast Forward Application directly to Employment Nova Scotia during your training course.
You may also visit a Careers Nova Scotia Center in your area to learn more about services and programs that are available to assist you to develop a plan to assist you to find sustainable employment.
If you are interested in the Fast Forward program, please complete the application form and return it to your nearest Employment Nova Scotia office.
On the application, you will be asked to describe your employment goals and explain how the training course you have chosen will help you find employment upon completion. You will also need to confirm that you have a financial plan that will allow you to complete your training when your EI claim runs out.
Employment Nova Scotia will review and assess your application and if your application is approved you will be contacted and mailed out a copy of the signed Fast Forward Program Agreement outlining your benefits and responsibilities.
Employment Nova Scotia Offices
General enquiries: 1-877-223-0888