If You Get a Job

Note: You must be a recipient of Income Assistance to take part in this program.

If you get a job

If you or your spouse are employed on a full or part-time basis, and you receive income assistance you can keep the first $150 you earn, plus 30% of your earned net wages.

Your caseworker will increase your cheque by the amount you are eligible to receive for child care, transportation and other special needs first. Then your caseworker will deduct 70% of the net wages from your basic entitlement. Net wages are the money that is left after the mandatory deductions are taken off your cheque by your employer.

Your caseworker will need to verify the hours of the employment by having you provide a letter of employment or other appropriate documentation (i.e. cheque stub), and may also require receipts for your child care and/or transportation costs.

What if I am working in a job that is considered supported employment?

Supported employment is part of a vocational or employment plan supported by staff of the Department and/or community partners,  and which pays at least the provincial minimum wage per hour. People who are working in supported employment jobs might have disabilities that may limit their ability to ever be fully financially self-sufficient, but they are able to work in situations that are supportive and flexible.

If you or your spouse are in receipt of income assistance and your caseworker defines your job as supported employment, you will receive the employment related special needs you need as part of your basic entitlement. You will keep the first $300 earned each month, plus 30% of the remaining monthly net wages, and your caseworker will deduct the remaining 70% of the net wages from your basic entitlement.

I'm attending a training program that provides me with a training allowance. What will happen to my income assistance?

If you or your spouse are in receipt of income assistance and are participating in an employability-related training program that provides a training allowance, you will keep the first $150 per month of that training allowance. Your caseworker can also provide the employment related special needs you will require to participate in the program.

Next steps

Talk to your caseworker. (If you do not have a caseworker, remember, you must be a recipient of Income Assistance in order to be eligible for this program.)